Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Thing #20: YouTube

I've been a fan of YouTube for a while now, so it wasn't exactly a hardship to play around on that website!

First of all, a couple of fun things to share:

I love this recording of The Pogues doing one of my favorite, if not my very favorite, songs of theirs: 'Dirty Ol' Town'. This is obviously from back when Shane still had a few teeth left!



While I'm sharing music and music videos, here's one of my favorite videos ever, "Hoppípolla" (Icelandic for "jumping into puddles") by Sigur Rós. I just love the video -- and the song, of course. It's in Icelandic so don't try too hard to make out the lyrics, unless you happen to speak Icelandic, in which case feel free. :)



I found a lot of YouTube videos pertaining to libraries, quite a few of which were tours of various libraries. Most of them were pretty basic and rather dry, but this one made me laugh a little. It's pretty cheesy, but cute.



And now, for something completely different.
Monty Python meets librarians.



A few thoughts on YouTube: one of my biggest pet peeves with the site is the stupid comments left by people. Not all of the comments are asinine, but I'd say a good 90% are, and usually just irritate me. Therefore, I just skip 'em.

I do think there are a lot of fun things on YouTube, but also a lot of drivel and time wasters, of course. It's not a site that I personally spend a lot of time viewing. However, I can see some potential for libraries and FRL in particular -- library tours, upcoming programming, previous programs as advertisement, etc.

No comments: